The North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council (NCSILC) is a federally-mandated, not-for-profit, Governor appointed council. A majority of council members must be people with a disability. By federal law, the SILC is charged with:
- • Developing a state plan addressing the provision of statewide independent living services (SPIL)
- • Developing and supporting a statewide network of Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
- • Monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the implementation of the state plan (SPIL).
To promote a philosophy of independent living, including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self determination, equal access, and individual and systems advocacy, in order to maximize opportunities for individuals with disabilities and the integration and full inclusion of individuals with disabilities into the mainstream of society.
STATE PLAN FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING (SPIL)
(Download PDF, Download Word Doc)
- NC SILC Fall 2022 meeting – Thursday, October 20 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- NC SILC Winter 2023 meeting – Thursday, January 19 (tentative)
- NC SILC Spring 2023 meeting– Thursday, April 20 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- NC SILC Summer 2023 meeting – Thursday, July 20 9:00 am – 4:00 pm (Annual meeting & Officer elections)
2023 Virtual AT Expo
Register at https://ncsu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_xU82OXz7SUCjJKuBC6c4xQ
Date: September 29th, 2022 (9:00-4:00)
The North Carolina Department of Public Instruction will provide .08 CEUs. You must participate the entire day to receive the CEUs. More information will be provided on Expo Day.
Thank you to the NC AT Virtual Expo 2022 Sponsors:
The Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DSDHH)
The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services (DVRS)
Easterseals UCP North Carolina & Virginia
North Carolina AgrAbility Partnership
Self-Help Credit Union
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
Annette Lauber, NCATP Board member, and former NCATP team member
NCATP Grant Advisory Board
American Sign Language
Great Door prize giveaways:
$25 e-gift card, $50 e-gift cards, two Echo Shows, Air Tags with air tag holder, garden seat, garage anti-fatigue mat, and much more.
You must be present to win!
New committees will soon be formalized to address the goals, objectives and activities of the new NC 3 year State Plan for Independent Living. Please check back again soon for further details.
If you would like copies of any committee meeting minutes, please contact us.
The Statewide Independent Living Council is a partner with the Centers for Independent Living across the NC.
Centers provide core services that lead directly to increased independence
for North Carolinians with disabilities. At a minimum each Center provides:
- Information & Referral
- Individual Advocacy
- Independent Living Skills Training
- Systems Advocacy
- Peer Mentoring and Support
- Youth Transitions
- Diversions from Institution
- Transition to Community Based Living
- Disabilty Advocacy Center