The North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council (NCSILC) is a federally-mandated, not-for-profit, Governor appointed council. A majority of council members must be people with a disability. By federal law, the SILC is charged with:
- • Developing a state plan addressing the provision of statewide independent living services (SPIL) NC SPIL 17 – 19 FINAL
- • Developing and supporting a statewide network of Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
- • Monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the implementation of the state plan (SPIL).
To promote a philosophy of independent living, including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self determination, equal access, and individual and systems advocacy, in order to maximize opportunities for individuals with disabilities and the integration and full inclusion of individuals with disabilities into the mainstream of society.
Questions for SPIL Development – Download and email completed forms to email@example.com
- • 2019 upcoming meeting Dates: November 15th. Board Enrichment trainings are held the Thursday prior. All meetings are held at Courtyard Marriott – Burlington. All are public meetings.
NCSILC Standing Committees dates and times – All meetings are public and can be accessed by dialing 218-862-6114 Code: 232-2321
- • Governance Committee meets 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10:00 a.m.
- • Advocacy Committee meets 1st Wednesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. All are public meetings.
- • Action Committee meets 1st Thursday at 10:00 a.m.
- • Finance Committee meets 2nd Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.
SPIL Goal Committees – All meetings are public and can be accessed by dialing 218-862-6114 Code: 232-2321
- • SPIL Goal 1 Committee – The 8 CIL’s of N.C. provide quality services as needed by people with disabilities
- • SPIL Goal 2 Committee – Youth with Disabilites in NC have increased leadership and empowerment – meets the 2nd Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 3 Committee – Independent Living Services in NC are improved
- • SPIL Goal 4 Committee – People with disabilities in NC live in the community of their choice meets 1st Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 5 Committee – Using I & E funds the NCSILC office operates efficiently & effectively meets 4th Monday at 2:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 6 Committee – NCVRIL & DSB provide quality services as needed by people with disabilities – meets quarterly 1st Thursday at 3:00 p.m., February, May, August, November
If you would like copies of any committee meeting minutes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Statewide Independent Living Council is a partner with the Centers for Independent Living across the NC.
Centers provide core services that lead directly to increased independence
for North Carolinians with disabilities. At a minimum each Center provides:
- Information & Referral
- Individual Advocacy
- Independent Living Skills Training
- Systems Advocacy
- Peer Mentoring and Support
- Youth Transitions
- Diversions from Institution
- Transition to Community Based Living