The North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council (NCSILC) is a federally-mandated, not-for-profit, Governor appointed council. A majority of council members must be people with a disability. By federal law, the SILC is charged with:
- • Developing a state plan addressing the provision of statewide independent living services (SPIL) SPIL Extension Revision for 2017-2020
- • Developing and supporting a statewide network of Centers for Independent Living (CILs)
- • Monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the implementation of the state plan (SPIL).
To promote a philosophy of independent living, including a philosophy of consumer control, peer support, self-help, self determination, equal access, and individual and systems advocacy, in order to maximize opportunities for individuals with disabilities and the integration and full inclusion of individuals with disabilities into the mainstream of society.
State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) 2021-2023
The North Carolina Statewide Independent Living Council (NCSILC) is pleased to present the draft copy of the goals from the State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL) 2021-2023. The SPIL is a three-year plan that informs the goals, objectives and activities for how North Carolina will provide and improve independent living services for North Carolinians with disabilities. We will be accepting public comment until May 24, 2020. If you have any questions or need any accommodations to complete the survey, please contact the NCSILC by telephone at 336-639-5898 or by email at Mark.Steele@ncsilc.org
Click here to access the draft.
Questions for SPIL Development – Download and email completed forms to Mark.Steele@ncsilc.org
- • 2020 Upcoming Meeting Dates: June 18th and 19th and September 24th and 25th 2020. Board Enrichment trainings are held the Thursday prior. All meetings are held at The Country Inn Suites in Burlington. All are public meetings.
NCSILC Standing Committees dates and times – All meetings are public and can be accessed by dialing 1-605-475-4300 Code 232-2321
- • Governance Committee meets 2nd Tuesday of each month at 10:00 am
- • Advocacy Committee meets 1st Wednesday of each month at 4:00 p.m. All are public meetings.
- • Action Committee 1st Thursday of each month at 10:00 am
- • Finance Committee 3rd Wednesday of each month at 9:30 am
SPIL Goal Committees – All meetings are public and can be accessed by dialing 1-605-475-4300 Code 232-2321
- • SPIL Goal 1 Committee – The 8 CIL’s of N.C. provide quality services as needed by people with disabilities
- • SPIL Goal 2 Committee – Youth with Disabilites in NC have increased leadership and empowerment – meets the 2nd Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 3 Committee – Independent Living Services in NC are improved
- • SPIL Goal 4 Committee – People with disabilities in NC live in the community of their choice meets 1st Tuesday at 2:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 5 Committee – Using I & E funds the NCSILC office operates efficiently & effectively meets 4th Monday at 2:00 p.m.
- • SPIL Goal 6 Committee – NCVRIL & DSB provide quality services as needed by people with disabilities – meets quarterly 1st Thursday at 3:00 p.m., February, May, August, November
If you would like copies of any committee meeting minutes, please email Mark.Steele@ncsilc.org
The Statewide Independent Living Council is a partner with the Centers for Independent Living across the NC.
Centers provide core services that lead directly to increased independence
for North Carolinians with disabilities. At a minimum each Center provides:
- Information & Referral
- Individual Advocacy
- Independent Living Skills Training
- Systems Advocacy
- Peer Mentoring and Support
- Youth Transitions
- Diversions from Institution
- Transition to Community Based Living